Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Montessori Beginning / Descubriendo Montessori

Although I have writing this blog for a week I did not mention the Montessori Method until yesterday. But in fact my reason for creating this blog was to record my experience educating Ian according to the Montessori Method. My hope is that someone in the same situation will be interested in reading and especially in writing comments and suggestions to me.

Aunque este blog tiene solo una semana y he hecho pocos posteos, no había mencionado el Método Montessori sino hasta ayer, lo cual es significativo para mi considerando que el verdadero propósito al crear este blog fue registrar mi experiencia educando a Ian según el Método Montessori, con la esperanza de que alguien en la misma situación se interesara en leerlo y sobretodo en hacerme comentarios y darme sugerencias.

Our history with Montessori is very recent and despite the fact that the last few weeks we have been occupied with some Montessori activities, I felt too shy to confess it, especially after reading some amazing blogs of other mums.

Nuestra historia con Montessori es muy reciente y a pesar de que las últimas semanas hemos estado ocupados con algunas actividades Montessori, me sentí muy tímida para confesarlo, sobre todo después de leer algunos blogs increíbles de otras mamas.

When we lived in Uruguay, Ian attended a school based on a Spanish method called Optimistic. When we moved to Mexico (two months ago) I had expectations that Ian could keep going to school, but here the preschool education begins at 4 years of age. Then we began doing activities at home. I was focused on artistic activities (following the ideas of MaryAnn F. Koh in First Arts for Toddlers and Twos) and I had begun to prepare vocabulary cards. My mother applauded my initiative, in addition she suggested that I follow some method of teaching at home and she mentioned the Montessori Method as an example.

Cuando vivíamos en Uruguay Ian asistió a un colegio basado en un método español llamado Optimistic. Al mudarnos a México tuve expectativas de que continuara su educación en un colegio, pero aquí la educación preescolar comienza a los 4 años. Entonces empezamos a hacer actividades en casa. Estuve focalizada en actividades artísticas (siguiendo las ideas de MaryAnn F. Koh en First Arts for Toddlers and Twos) y había empezado a preparar tarjetas de vocabulario. Mi mama aplaudió mi iniciativa, además me sugirió seguir algún método de enseñanza en el hogar y menciono el de Montessori como ejemplo.

Immediately I began to research information on the Internet. At the moment I am waiting for a few books Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-Fives , and “Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child” by Maja Pitamic. Also, surfing the web I found some videos in youtube that gave me an initial idea of what Montessori was about and the best thing I found was several very inspiring blogs fromw I’m picking up many ideas from them.

Inmediatamente empecé a buscar información en internet. En este momento esperando por los libros Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives y Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child de Maja Pitamic. Navegando encontré algunos videos en youtube que me dieron una idea inicial de lo que involucra Montessori y lo mejor, varios blogs muy inspiradores de donde estoy tomando muchas ideas de ellos.

Since then we have incorporated new activities to Ian’s daily routine, John began to make some furniture for Ian and I have created some home-made materials. These have been strenuous days, with several frustrations, but I am very happy, convinced that we are going in the right direction. Now I only need a bit more patience and an understanding of the Montessori philosophy.

Desde entonces hemos incorporado nuevas actividades, John empezó a hacer algunos muebles para Ian y yo he hecho algunos materiales caseros. Han sido días agotadores, con varias frustraciones, pero me siento muy feliz, convencida de que vamos en la dirección correcta. Solo hace falta más paciencia y conocimiento de la filosofía Montessori.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails