Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Who is learning the most / ¿Quién está aprendiendo más?

While my Montessori books are coming, I have been reading some blogs, imagining Ian doing the activities posted, with the same level of concentration and abilities that the other children (some of them younger than him). But the results of putting into practice those ideas have been diverse.

Mientras espero por los libros que he encargado sobre Montessori, he estado leyendo algunos blogs, imaginándome a Ian realizando las mismas actividades, con la misma concentración y habilidades que los otros niños (algunos menores que él). Los resultados en la realidad han sido diversos.

We have tried activities of practical life, language, mathematics and art; however, Ian only seems to be willing to do the practical life ones. I remember the first Montessori exercise we tried was dry pouring. I had never seen Ian so concentrated, controlling his movements, noting his mistakes, correcting them and repeating the exercise, all in absolute silence. It was a beautiful revelation for me.

Hemos hecho actividades de vida práctica, lenguaje, matemáticas y arte; sin embargo, Ian sólo parece estar dispuesto para las actividades de la vida práctica. Recuerdo que el primer ejercicio Montessori que hicimos fue dry pouring. Jamas había visto a Ian tan concentrado, controlando sus movimientos, notando sus errores, corrigiéndolos, repitiendo el ejercicio en silencio. Fue una hemosa revelación para mi.

In other activities his reactions vary; in the worst case he rejects the activity completely and in the best case he does the exercise once and then doesn’t want to repeat it.

En las otras aéreas, dependiendo de la actividad, sus reacciones varían, en el peor de los casos las rechaza completamente y en el mejor caso hace el ejercicio una sola vez y no quiere repetirlo.

Over the last two weeks, I have put my energy into activities trying to get Ian to recognize, name and associate shapes, colors and numbers. However, when I presented the exercise, Ian did not seem to be paying attention. He began before I finished my explanation, he didn’t do the exercise “correctly” and almost always he didn’t complete the exercise. I was left sitting with my materials (several of them that I made myself) and my expectations were shattered.

Las últimas dos semanas, he tratado de que Ian realice algunas actividades que involucran reconocer, nombrar y asociar formas, colores y números. Sin embargo, cuando mostraba el ejercicio, Ian parecía no estar poniéndome atención, el empezaba antes de que yo terminara mi explicación, no lo hacía “correctamente” y los más seguro es que no completara el ejercicio y me dejara sentada con mis materiales (varios hechos por mi misma) y mis expectativas destrozadas.

Some of my thoughts were: Ian does not recognize the figures, Ian does not recognize the colors, he cannot do this, and he cannot do that. Then I looked for another way to stimulate his “learning”, but he continued doing it “incorrectly”.

Algunos de mis pensamientos fueron: Ian no reconoce las figuras, Ian no reconoce los colores, no puede hacer esto, no puedo hacer lo otro. Y paso seguido buscaba una y otra manera de involucrarlo para que “aprenda”, pero él seguía haciéndolo “incorrectamente”.

Fortunately, Ian did not make me wait long to give me a great lesson. He has a puzzle of animals where the pieces are the same shape, so one half of any animal can be matched with a half of another. Ian ignored the puzzle for a long time and when he finally paid it attention he put pieces in whatever place, apparently without noticing that none of the shapes matched. And when I asked him to try it again he refused. Then one day, when he took the puzzle by himself, he correctly resolved all the animals as if it was the easiest thing in the world.

Afortunadamente, Ian no tardo en darme una gran lección. El tiene un puzle de animales. Las piezas que se remueven tiene la misma forma pero el patrón es distinto de acuerdo a la piel del animal. Ian rechazo por algún tiempo este puzle y cuando por fin le dio atención ponía las piezas en cualquier lugar aparentemente sin fijarse en los patrones. Y cuando le pedía que lo intentara otra vez se negaba. Hasta que un día, tomo el puzle por su cuenta y lo hizo como si fuera la cosa más sencilla del mundo.


That and other similar events, made me think of several things that I want to change. In the future, I am going to:

  • Observe Ian more closely, noting which activities attract his attention
  • Offer him alternatives. He concentrates on the activities that he prefers, so I let him choose
  • Respect his routines and his learning process
  • Do not compare him with other children
  • Do not focus on results
  • Do not interrupt him while he is working
  • Remember that the fact Ian does not do an activity “correctly” does not necessarily mean that he “cannot” do it, he probably just “does not want to”


Ese acontecimiento y otros similares, me hicieron pensar en varias cosas que quiero cambiar. En adelante, voy a:

  • Observar más a Ian. Notar que actividades le atraen
  • Ofrecerle alternatias. El se concentra en las actividades que él prefiere, así que lo dejare escoger
  • Respetar sus tiempos y su proceso de aprendizaje
  • No compararlo con otros niños
  • No focalizarme en los resultados
  • No interrumpirlo mientras trabaja
  • Recordar que el que no haga un actividad “correctamente” no significa necesariamente que “no pueda” hacerla, probablemente, “no quiera” hacerla

While making this list I thought about the activities that Ian actually likes and I realized that we have not done those things much since I started focusing (incorrectly) on Montessori activities.

Hacer esta lista me llevo a pensar en las cosas que le gustan a Ian y me di cuenta que no las hemos hecho mucho desde que empecé a focalizarme (equivocadamente) en actividades Montessori.

Finally, I want to say that I am glad that I stopped to think about our activities; we’ll keep the good ones and now I understand what I should change. I am happy to be experiencing this process; it’s a daily learning process that’s very beautiful.

Quiero decir que me alegro de haber hecho esta pausa para pensar, celebrar las cosas buenas y entender lo que debo cambiar. Estoy feliz de estar viviendo este proceso, es un aprendizaje diario, muy hermoso.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails