Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Convincing a child is a subtle form of coercion / Convencer a un niño es una forma sútil de coerción

Last week was hard for me. I felt exhausted, frustrated and unhappy. I started the week with high expectations for Ian to engage in the activities I prepared for him; and when he did not seem to be interested I felt displeased and tried to convince him to do the activities. At the beginning he did so without interest, maybe to please me, but later he rejected my attempts. These are the activities:

La semana pasada fue dificil para mi. Me sentí exhausta, frustada e infeliz. Empecé la semana con altas expectativas de que Ian participara en las actividades que preparé para él y, cuando él no se mostró interesado me sentí descontenta and intenté convencerlo para que hiciera las actividades. Al comienzo el lo hizo sin mucho interés, talvés para complacerme, pero después el rechazó mis intentos. Estas son las actividades:

Flower sorting and arranging. As Ian had mastered the sorting colored sticks activity I wanted to introduce a variation/extension. As soon as he saw the tray he said “No” but I encouraged him to do it. He tried but he bent the wires of the flower stems because they were too thin and Ian’s skills weren't fine enough. When I put away the spice bottles, he enjoyed observing and smelling the flowers (I’d added a fragrance to them). I was so focused on my own purpose that I ignored his pleasure and I persuaded him to arrange the flowers in the vase and I just got him to push the flowers into the vase.

Clasificación y arreglo de flores. Ya que Ian habia dominado la actividad de clasificar palitos de colors, quise introducir una variación/extensión. Tan pronto como Ian vió la bandeja de la actividad dijo "No" pero yo lo animé a hacerla. El lo intentó pero dobló los alambres de los tallos de las flores porque eran muy delgados y las motricidad de Ian no era lo suficientemente fina. Cuando retire los condimenteros, él disfrutó observando y oliendo las flores (yo les había agregado fragancia). Estuve tan focalizada en mis propios objetivos que ignoré que él estaba disfrutando y lo persuadí a arreglar las flores en el florero y lo único que conseguí fue que Ian hundiera las flores en el florero.





Mat with a napkin ring. Ian learnt to roll and unroll his floor mat by imitating me. When we started using a bamboo table mat for some activities he enjoyed rolling and unrolling the mat and I never had to present the activity or ask him to do it. To provide him with a further practice I introduced not one, but two more levels of difficulty: a fabric mat and a napkin ring. I helped him to roll the mat because I really wanted him to use the ring. As you can imagine it did not work. Later, I noticed Ian trying to do the activity on his own, but as soon as he saw my pleasure he stopped doing it.

Individual con anillo de servilleta. Ian aprendió en enrollar y desenrollar su alfombra imitandome. Cuando empezamos a usar un individual para definir su espacio de trabajo, él disfrutó enrollandolo y desenrollandolo y yo nunca tuve que presentarle la actividad ni pedirle que la hiciera. Para darle más práctica, introduje no uno, sino dos niveles de dificultad: un individual de tela y un anillo de servilleta. Yo le ayudé a enrollar el individual porque yo realmente quería que usara el anillo. Como podran imaginarse esto no resultó. Después, noté que Ian estuvo tratando de hacerla actividad por si solo, pero apenas vió mi satisfacción se detuvó.


He shows me he doesn´t want to be controlled. Now, I am sure he can sense when I am pushing him even if I do it very subtley and pretend I don’t care if he does not do what I hope. His reaction ranges from being uninterestedly obliged to energetically avoiding them.

El me está mostrando que no quiere ser controlado. Ahora, estoy segura de que él puede percibir cuando lo estoy presionando, aun cuando lo haga sutilmente y finja que no me importa si él no hace lo que espero. Su reacción varía desde complacerme de manera indiferente a evitar enegicamente las actividades.

Shower curtain hooks. The tray of this activity contained one strip of poster board that has holes punched and one bowl containing shower curtain hooks. Ian had to push the exposed end of the hooks into the holes and then reverse the process. The story was not very different than the two previous ones. Ian just wanted to undo what I did and push away the materials.

Ganchos de cortina de baño. La bandeja de esta actividad contenía una tira de cartón con huequitos hechos con un perforador y una canastita con ganchos de cortina de baño. Ian tenía que colocar los ganchos en las perforaciones y luego sacarlos. Las cosas no fueron muy distintas, Ian sólo quería deshacer lo que yo hacía y empujar los materiales.


At this point I felt very bad because I realized that I was coercing him and I really don’t feel good when he accepts to do something against his will.
Later, I put out other activities with no expectation; actually, I was exhausted and completely unmotivated. As I did not try to pressure him into doing the activities, he did them gladly. These are the activities

En ese punto yo me sentía muy mal porque entendí que estaba forzando a Ian and realmente no me siento bien cuando el acepta hacer algo en contra de su voluntad.
Después, preparé otras actividades sin ninguna expectativa; de hecho, estaba exhausta y completamente desmotivada. Y ya que no traté de presionar a Ian, el hizo las actividades con gusto.

Coins Pinching and Dropping in

Recoger monedas y meterlas en una alcancia



Felt face puzzle. I made it as therapy for myself :-) He enjoys naming the parts of the face and had a bit of trouble putting the small parts in their place. It ending up being a great fine-motor activity.

Cara de filtro.Hice este rompecabezas como terapia :-). Ian disfrutó nombrando las partes de la cara y tuvo algunos problemitas colocando las partes pequeñas en su sitio. Esta resultó ser una buena actividad de motricidad fina.


Brown Bear shadow matching puzzle. I got the patterns and instructions from the site Making Learning Fun. Ian loves the Brown Bear book so he really liked this activity.

Rompecabezas de sombras. Consegui los patrones e instrucciones de este rompecabezas en el sitio Making Learning Fun. A Ian le encanta el libro Brown Brown Bear What Do You See, así que esta actividad le gustó mucho.



Band-Aid peeling and sticking. It was not as easy as I thought, but Ian did not give up easily.

Pelar y pegar curitas.Esta no fue tan fácil como imagine pero Ian no renunció facilmente.


Thimbles on Finger Tips. I showed this activity to Ian while we were having fun singing a number of songs. First, he learnt how to place the thimbles on my finger tips and then on his. We counted aloud.

Poner dedales en la yema de los dedos.Esta actividad se la mostré a Ian mientras nos divertiamos cantando. Primero el aprendió a colocar los dedales en mis dedos y luego en los suyos. Además contamos los dedales uno por uno.


Peeling number stickers and lining up in order. I just place the materials on his table and he did it on his own. Ian peeled the sticker in order but always looked for the number in the paper along the line. He named the number aloud when he peeled the sticker and when he stuck it. Then we used the thimbles to do a one-to-one correspondence exercise.

Pelar calcamonias numeradas y ponerlas en una fila, en ordenEn esta ocasión sólo puse los materiales sobre la mesa de Ian y el hizo la actividad solo. Ian peló las calcamonias en orden pero siempre recorrió visualmente la linea para buscar el número correspondiente. El nombró los números mientras pelaba cada calcamonia y mientras los pegaba en su lugar. Al final, usamos los dedales para hacer una actividad de correspondencia uno-a-uno




Finally, these are the activities that Ian chooses and/or arose spontaneously. As you can imagine, those were the most enjoyable for Ian.

Finalmente, estas son las actividades que Ian escogió por su cuenta y/o surgieron expontaneamente:

Sharing time with his teddy bear (a koala): He enjoyed helping Ted to roll, jump and to do summersaults, just like him. He also shared his milk with him.

Pasar tiempo con su koala de pelucheIan disfrutó ayudando a Ted a rodar, saltar y dar volantines, tal como él lo hace. Y también compartió su leche con Ted.




Reading aloud on his own:

Leyendo solo en voz alta


Picking plums:

Recogiendo ciruelas


Arranging flowerpots: Ian likes to line up the fowerpots, so I draw a circle and a square to satisfy his great enjoyment. He was so happy to make the arrangements.

Acomodando maceteros.Como a Ian le encanta poner en fila los maceteros, dibujé un circulo y un cuadrado para satisfacer su afición. El estuvo muy feliz de hacer estos arreglos.


Stacking, nesting and counting flowerpots:

Apilando, anidando y contando maceteros


Using a dustpan. Ian empties coffee and I give him a scoop to collect it, but he prefers the dustpan I bought for me to clean up.

Usando un recogedor.Ian derramó café y le di una pala para recogerlo, pero el prefirió usar el recogedor que habia traido para mi.


Climbing ladder: As Ian has been very into gross motor activites, we went to a nearby park. It is not that nice and I think it is aimed at older children, but Ian learnt very, very quickly to climb the big rungs of the ladder.

Subiendo escaleras.Como Ian esta muy involucrado en su motricidad gruesa, fuimos a parque cerca de casa. No era lindo y creo que es para niños mayores, pero Ian aprendió muy, muy rápido a subir los escalones (que eran grandes) de la escalera del tobogan.



Clearing the table. Ian helps us to clear the dinner table after meals. It was the most beautiful smiling face I saw the last week. He looked so happy being useful.

Recogiendo la mesa.Ian nos ayudó a recoger la mesa después de las comidas. Su sonrisa fue la mas linda que vi en toda la semana; el estaba muy feliz de ser útil.


Wow! he did a lot last week. It is a shame I did not value it enough because I was so focused trying to force my son into doing the activities I thought he needed. I know that is absolutely crazy, he is just two years old and there is no missing out if he does not want to do those activities. The good thing is that I am becoming more aware of my feelings about Ian's choices.

Vaya! él hizo muchisimo la última semana. Es una lastima que yo no lo valore tanto porque estuve muy concentrada en forzarlo a hacer actividades que pensé necesitaba. Lo sé, es una locura, él solo tiene dos añitos y no se pierde de nada si no quiere hacer eas actividades. Lo bueno es que cada vez soy más consciente de como me siento con respecto a las preferencias de Ian.

This post is linked at One Hook Wonder's weekly Toddler Tuesday. Take a look at this site for other great Montessori ideas.

Este post esta vinculado en Toddler Tuesday del blog One Hook Wonder. Miren este sitio donde hay otras ideas Montessori.

3 comments:

  1. Lots of wonderful works!! I bet Ian will be doing those works for you that prepared for him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did do a lot this week. Thanks for some neat ideas too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hugs* I hope next week is better. I totally understand where you're coming from. It can be so frustrating when we invest ourselves too deeply in what our kiddo "should" be doing. Like Ian, sometimes Pita Pocket will just flat out refuse to do something simply because he knows I want him to! Don't beat yourself up and remember that parenting is a learning process - my oldest is 15, and I still learn new things every day about how to be a better mama!

    Thanks for linking up to Toddler Tuesday - I love many of your ideas and will be using them soon - especially your felt face puzzle!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails