Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It is time to think / Es hora de pensar

I am in a trial and error period with Montessori matters. For now I am picking out intuitively some ideas on the internet, mainly from other mom's blogs, but I am a structured person so I need to arrange a long-term plan to feel tranquil and confident to teach Ian at home. To do this, books are better for me, I need to focus on one or two of them; there is so much information on the Internet that I feel overwhelmed and I do not where to start.

Estoy en un periodo de ensayo y error con Montessori. Por ahora lo que hago es implementar ideas que intuitivamente escojo de Internet, principalmente de otros blogs; pero, siendo una persona estructurada, necesito un plan a largo plazo para sentirme más tranquila y confiada educando a Ian en casa. Para eso, lo que mejor funciona para mí son los libros, focalizarme en uno o dos de ellos; Internet provee tanta información que lo único que consigo es sentirme ahogada, sin saber por dónde empezar.

After experiencing some frustrations, I’ve realized than my initial expectations were much too high. So, now it is time for reflective thinking. It is time to slow down and consider what works for us, what are my homeschooling goals for Ian, how much of the Montessori ideas I want to follow, how much we are able to perform. I have had visions of Montessori homeschooling that are really beyond our reach, but finally I am coming to the realization that even if we wanted to adhere to all the ideas of Montessori, it would not be possible. To mention one reason, we have many limitations living in this rural town; I cannot even buy simple things to make things at home.

Después de experimentar algunas frustraciones, entiendo que mis expectativas iniciales fueron demasiado altas. Así que, es hora de "sentarme" a reflexionar sobre que funciona para nosotros, cuales son mis objetivos al educar a Ian en casa, cuanto de las ideas de Montessori quiero seguir y cuántas de ellas es posible implementar. Mi visión inicial de una escuelita Montessori en casa estaba realmente fuera de nuestro alcance; ahora estoy "realizando" (existe esa palabra?) mis ideas y entiendo que aun cuando quisiéramos seguir todas las ideas Montessori esto no sería factible. Por mencionar solo una razón, tenemos muchas limitaciones viviendo en este pueblo donde ni siquiera puedo conseguir lo básico para hacer algunos materiales en casa.

While I am structuring our own (not perfect) Montessori homeschooling, I will do what I can from day by day and I will keep posting the successes and failures of teaching my Little Piggy at home.

Mientras estructuro nuestro propia (imperfecta) escuelita Montessori en casa, hare lo que puedo cada día y seguiré posteando mis éxitos y mis frustraciones enseñando a mi chanchito.

Talking about failures, here is a corner with the first materials I made myself. I remember my expectations; I thought they would be interesting and useful for Ian, but what a disappointment: Ian ignored them completely (except the first time I presented them to him, as you can see the photos bellow). I kept this corner in the hope that some day Ian would change his mood and use the materials, but I was disappointed again: Ian insisted in throwing things about so in the end I decided to pack the materials away. That’s ok, I have learnt that it will take time, but more importantly it will take patience on my part.

A propósito de frustraciones, aquí hay una foto de un rinconcito que prepare para Ian con los primeros materiales que le hice. Recuerdo mis expectativas, cuando los hice pensé que estos serian útiles e interesantes para Ian, pero vaya decepción: Ian los ignoro completamente (excepto cuando se los mostré por primera vez, como se ve en las fotos). Mantuve ese rinconcito por algunos días con la esperanza de que Ian cambiara de humor y decidiera usarlos, pero que decepción, otra vez: Ian insistió en arrojarlos, así que decidí retirarlos. Está bien, he aprendido que esto tomara tiempo y que necesito toda la paciencia posible.



I think that I should use this corner for myself (see my meditation items? I need to meditate a bit …. or maybe a lot :-)

Creo que quien debería usar ese rinconcito soy yo (ven mis cosas para meditar?)... necesito meditar un poco, o mucho :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails