Friday, May 28, 2010

Control of Error / Control de errores

I have had the Pink Tower and the Cylinders Blocks packaged for long time. Indeed, at the beginning I felt overwhelmed for giving Ian a perfect presentation. Later, I knew that I should wait for Ian to show interest in stacking things to present the Pink Tower and in pegs to present the Cylinders Blocks. Neither one had happened when I decided to find out if, in spite of that, Ian was interested on using these materials; so I read some albums to prepare that would be my first Montessori presentations. Everything was clear to me, except the meaning of “Control of Error: Visual discrimination”. Notwithstanding, I did my presentations (one per week) anyway. During my presentations Ian was sitting watching me… in his swing :-). When I finished presenting the Tower Pink, he got down from his swing to overthrow the tower and then take a turn. He made some errors and, that time, I corrected him.

He tenido la Torre Rosa y los Cilindros con botón hace tiempo, embalados tal como los recibí. A decir verdad, al principio me sentí abrumada por tener que hacer una presentación perfecta. Luego, supe que debía esperar a que Ian mostrase interés en apilar cosas para presentar la Torre Rosa y en cilindros de encaje para presentar los cilindros. No habia ocurrido ni lo uno ni lo otro; sin embargo quise averiguar si, a pesar de eso, le interesarían estos materiales; así leí algunos álbumes para preparar las que serían mis primeras presentaciones Montessori. Todo era claro para mí, excepto por el significado de “Control de error: discriminación visual”. Sin embargo, hice mis presentaciones (una por semana) de todas maneras. Durante mis presentaciones Ian estuvo sentado mirándome… en su columpio :-). Cuando termine de presentar la Torre Rosa, el se bajo de su columpio para derribar la torre y luego tener un turno. El cometió algunos errores y, en esa occasion, le corregí.




Fortunately I understood, very soon, that many of the Montessori materials are self correcting, or there is a "control of error" meaning when a child makes an error, it can be noticed (eventually by the child) visually and thus corrected. With the Pink Tower, the cubes are stacked from largest to smallest. When the cubes are not stacked correctly, it can be seen (visual discrimination) and corrected by the child.

Afortunadamente muy pronto entendí que muchos de los materiales Montessori tienen un “control de error” que significa que cuando el niño comete un error, éste puede ser notado (eventualmente por el niño) visualmente, y luego corregido. Con la Torre Rosa, los cubos pueden apilarse desde el más grande al más pequeño. Cuando los cubos no son apilados correctamente, esto puede verse (eso es discriminación visual) y corregirse por el niño.

The next time Ian worked with the Pink Tower, I allow him to make mistakes. In fact, I did not expect Ian to notice his errors neither to correct them. Therefore, my surprise and joy was big when he did so. He was very happy when he stacked the smallest block (and then overthrew the tower).

En la siguiente ocasión que Ian trabajó con la Torre Rosa, le deje cometer errores. La verdad, no espere que los notara y menos que los corrigiera, así que mi sorpresa y alegría fue grande cuando lo hizo- El estaba muy feliz al colocar el último bloque (y derribar la torre).

Now, the Pink Tower is in Ian’s shelf but he is not very interested in it. On the contrary, he loves the cylinders. He usually works with them every day and always repeats the exercise twice.
Ahora la Torre está en su estante, pero él está muy interesado en ella. Lo contrario ocurre con los cilindros. Ian trabaja con ellos todos los días y suele repetir el ejercicio dos veces.




In regard with me, I am learning every day. It is hard to watch when Ian makes a mistake and not jump in to correct it, but I understand that making mistakes is how he learns most. I also want he learns to come to me for help.

Con respecto a mi, sigo aprendiendo día a día. Es difícil observarlo cuando el comete un error y no saltar a corregirlo, pero entiendo que la mejor manera de que él aprendan es dejándolo cometer errores. Además, quiero que el aprenda a pedirme ayuda cuando lo necesita.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails