Friday, May 21, 2010

Perception of Colors / Percepción de colores

The first Montessori material I attempted to show Ian was color tablets (about two months ago), but he didn’t give me a chance to explain anything. He just grabbed the color tablets and started playing with them, not paying any attention to my presentation/explanation. After some failed attempts I rotated the color tablets off the shelf. One month later, I tried again (what a optimistic mother!) but things didn’t change. Since then, I have been trying different things, like:

El primer material Montessori que traté de mostrar a Ian fueron las tarjetas de colores (alrededor de dos meses atrás), pero él no me dio ninguna oportunidad de explicarle nada. Él sólo agarró las tarjetas y comenzó a jugar con ellas y no puso ninguna atención a mi presentación. Después de algunos intentos fallidos I retire las tarjetas. Un mes después, intenté una vez más (que optimista!) pero las cosas no cambiaron. Desde entonces he estado haciendo diferentes cosas, como:

  • When he was drinking his bottle, lying down in bed, I often presented to him the color tablets language activity with three-period lesson. Most of the time I spoke to myself (“Is this color red?” (Pause) “Noooo!” (Pause) “Is it red?” (Pause) ”Nooo!” (Pause) “Is it yellow?” (Pause) “Yeees!”. He watched me, expectant and smiling as I was changing my facial expressions and my voice tone. I played games to get him interested, for example, "What's missing?" During the three period lessons, I took one tablet away and asked him either "What tablet is missing?" or "Is the blue tablet missing or the red tablet missing?” Lately, he has been attempting to say the color names. Actually, the last time he painted, he asked for more “pain, pain” many times and while he was pouring it he said “elo”, or “ed” or “bu”. Although he did not correctly associate the name with the color I was still very happy.
  • I take advantage of our daily routine to talk about colors, while dressing up, doing playdough activities, coloring pages, painting, or playing anything.
  • Lately, as Ian is very interested in increasing his vocabulary, I have made a language card of objects with the primary colors. And when we finish a lesson using the color tables, I say something like “I will show you some objects which are red….”

  • Cuando Ian tomaba su biberón, tendido en su cama, a menudo le doy una lección de tres tiempos sobre los nombres de los colores usando las tarjetas de color. La mayoría de las veces estoy hablando sola (“Es este color rojo?“ (Pausa, esperando su respuesta) “¡Noooo! “ (Pausa) “Es rojo? “ (Pausa) “Nooo! “ (Pausa) “Es amarillo? “ (Pausa) “Siiii!”. El me mira, expectante y sonriente porque voy cambiado mi expresión facial y el tono de mi voz. Siempre trato de jugar para lograr su atención, por ejemplo jugamos a "Qué falta?". Durante una lección de tres tiempos, escondo una tarjeta y le preguntó "Qué tarjeta falta?" o "Es la tarjeta azul la que falta o es roja?” Y últimamente él ha estado tratando de decir los nombres de colores durante nuestras lecciones. De hecho, la última vez que el pintó, pidió más pintura muchas veces y mientras las vertía decía “elo” (por yellow) , o “ed” (por red) o “bu” (por blue) . Aunque no asoció correctamente el nombre con el color yo estaba tan feliz.
  • Aprovecho nuestra rutina diaria para hablar de los colores.
  • Últimamente, ya que Ian está interesado en incrementar su vocabulario, hice tarjetas de lenguaje de objetos con los colores primarios. Y cuando terminaba la lección usando las tabletas de colores, le decía algo así como: “ahora voy a mostrarte objetos que son rojos…”

At the same time I was reading Gettman’s book. He says that the emphasis in objects (like my vocabulary cards, at least, which are shown to “possess” various qualities, including the color in this case) to teach colors is a conventional teaching method, that perpetrates the objectification of the child’s world by subordinating experience to objects, while Montessori’s approach introduces the quality as a facet of the child’s experience.

Al mismo tiempo estuve leyendo el libro de Gettman. Ahí él dice que el énfasis en los objetos (como mis tarjetas de vocabulario, al menos, que poseen varias cualidades, incluido el color -en este caso) para enseñar colores es un método convencional de enseñanza, que perpetra la objetivación del mundo del niño al subordinar la experiencia a los objetos, mientras que el enfoque de Montessori introduce la cualidad como una faceta de la experiencia del niño.

After I read that, I was wondering: if my son is not interested in using sensorial materials, what should (and shouldn’t) I do to teach him color, shapes, dimensions, etc. according to the Montessori Method.

Después que lei eso me estuve preguntando: si mi hijo no está interesado en usar material sensorial, que tendría que hacer para enseñarle colores, formas, dimesiones, etc. de acuerdo al Método Montessori?

Then I wanted to test the results of my approach, so I put out a color sorting activity. I set up two bottles with two groups of sticks (I have tried red-blue and blue-yellow groups so far). The bottles and their lids have dot stickers with the same color as the sticks. He did the exercise pretty well and I noticed that he was not very enthusiastic, I feel like he was sending me a message to stop trying color matching activities, because he can do it already and he is not interested anymore.

Entonces quise probar los resultados de mis métodos, así que prepare una actividad para que Ian distiguiera los colores. Puse dos botellas con dos grupos de palitos de colores (probé rojo y azul y luego azul y amarillo). Las botellas y sus tapas tienen unos calcamonias del mismo color que los palitos. El hizo el ejercicio muy bien pero note que no estaba muy entusiasmado y sentí como si me estuviera diciendo que detuviera ese tipo de ejercicios porque ya puede hacerlos y a perdido interes.


I am learning (Ian is teaching me) that I have to rely less on the traditional Montessori materials and the traditional three period lessons. It’s best to teach and interact directly with my Little Piggy!

Estoy aprendiendo (Ian me está enseñando) que debo basarme menos en los tradicionales materiales Montessori y lecciones de tres tiempos para enseñar a Ian e interactuar con mi chanchito!

I will keep using our every day experiences and interactions to incorporate learning colors, shapes, etc. and increasing vocabulary, and maybe less on cards and tablets, for now!

Y continuaré aprovechando nuestras experiencias diarias e interacciones para incorporar aprendizaje de colores, formas, etc. e incrementar su vocabulario, y talvez con menos tarjetas y tabletas, for ahora!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails