Monday, May 17, 2010

Putting out art activities / Proyectos de arte

In the past we did various painting activities. They required time for preparation; Ian needs to be supervised during the activity; and mostly, they end with a big mess and therefore they require lots of patience and good mood.
Last time Ian painted, he was more interested on squeezing and pouring the paint bottles than on painting. When he finished I gave him a sponge and a bowl with water to wash his hands, but he began to play with them. I was in good mood that day so I brought a tub, more water and more sponges so he could have fun while practicing his squeezing skills.

En el pasado hemos hecho diversas actividades de pintura. Estas requieren tiempo para su preparación; Ian necesita ser supervisado durante la actividad y éstas, por lo general, termina con un gran desorden y por lo tanto requieren de mucha paciencia y buen humor.
La última vez pintamos, Ian estaba más interesado en apretar y verter las botellas de pintura que en pintar. Cuando terminó le dí una esponja y un recipiente con agua para lavarse las manos, pero él comenzó a jugar con ellos. Yo estaba en buen estado de ánimo este día así que le traje una tina, más agua y más esponjas para poder divertirse mientras practicaba sus habilidades para exprimir.



Despite all, I like these art activities because they allow Ian to explore, discover and manipulate different materials, so I prepare different paint recipes each time and discover what are stimulating and interesting to him. We don’t make crafts; we don’t focus in the resulting artwork, but in the art process that is a learning experience itself.

I think we will keep doing this kind of projects sometimes and meanwhile I am putting out simple art activities for Ian;  they should have only two o three steps and do not depend on me to start, do successfully, finish and clean up after the activity.

A pesar de todos, me gusta estas actividades de arte porque son una oportunidad para que Ian explore, descubra y manipule diferentes materiales, así que trato de preparar diferentes recetas de pintura cada vez para descubrir qué es estimulante e interesante para él. Nosotros no hacemos manualidades pues, más que el resultado final, lo que importa es el proceso de arte que es una experiencia de aprendizaje por si misma.

Creo que seguiremos haciendo este tipo de proyectos de vez en cuando; mientras tanto le daré a Ian proyectos, que sean simples (deberán tener sólo dos o tres pasos) y no y con los cuales que no dependa de mí para empezar, ejecutar, acabar y limpiar después de la actividad.

The art project I have introduced this week is sticker collage. He has a basket of stickers and a notebook. We run out of space in the shelves, so the materials are on his table, without a tray in order save space.
He has two types of stickers, tiny stars and bigger dots. The stars are more challenged and fun for Ian.

El proyecto de arte introducido esta semana es collage de calcomanías. Él tiene una canastita de calcomanías y un cuaderno. Nos quedamos sin espacio en las estanterías, así que los materiales están en su mesa, sin una bandeja para ahorrar espacio. Tiene dos tipos de calcomanías, estrellas chiquititas y círculos más grandes. Las estrellitas son más desafiantes y entretenidas para Ian.

1 comment:

  1. This gives me hope...I have a 2 1/2 year old who *loves* to make messes. Your post "Fewer Expectations..." was also great for me to read. I get so caught up in how I envisioned a craft project going and it so often doesn't go the way I planned it. And I'm a type A personality and I get frustrated when he doesn't want to do what I have spent a lot of time and energy preparing. Thanks for the reminder that he's still getting a lot out of the experience even if he doesn't end up creating the masterpiece I pictured in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails